A resource location is an instance of a virtualization platform, a private cloud, or a public cloud where blueprints are deployed. Before you deploy blueprints to your Citrix XenServer instance, you must first add it to Smart Tools as a resource location. For more information about the types of resource locations Smart Tools supports, see Resource location requirements.
If your XenServer instance is behind a firewall, you need to deploy a machine within the instance to act as a connector between Smart Tools and XenServer. You install the Citrix Smart Tools Agent on this machine to enable Smart Tools to communicate with your XenServer instance.
For more information about using connectors and the Citrix Smart Tools Agent, see Agent and connector requirements.
To add a XenServer resource location
- From the home page, click Resources & Settings.
- On the Resource Locations page, click Add Resource Location.
- Select Citrix XenServer and then click Next.
- If applicable, on the Select a connector for XenServer page, select one of the following options:
- Use existing machine that has Smart Tools Agent on it. Select this option if you have already installed the agent on a machine in your XenServer instance and you want to designate it as the connector. Click Next and proceed to Step 7.
- Prepare a new connector. Select this option if you have not yet installed the agent on the machine you want to designate as the connector. Click Next and proceed to Step 5.
- Select the operating system for your machine and click Download agent. When prompted, save the agent package to the machine or to a location that the machine can access.
- Locate the agent package you downloaded and install it.
Note: The installation procedure varies between operating systems. For detailed information on installing the agent in different operating systems, see Install or remove the Citrix Smart Tools Agent. After the agent is installed, it registers the server with Smart Tools. The registration process is not immediate and might take a few minutes. After the machine registration is complete, you will receive an email notification to your registered email account. After you receive this notification, you can continue setting up your resource location.