This page has moved to docs.citrix.com. You can now find all Smart Tools documentation at the Citrix Product Documentation site. Please update any page links to the new URL: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/smart-tools/smart-build/amazon-ec2-blueprint-step.html.
The EC2 Generic Step lets you specify an Amazon EC2 API whose output can then be used as input for steps across a blueprint. This enables you to preconfigure workflow processes in Smart Tools that perform automated IT tasks based on data passed from your Amazon Web Services account through the EC2 API.
For example, you can chain outputs from the DescribeVolumes API to a configuration step that requires as input a specific attribute value, such as volumeID, size, snapshotID, etc.
To configure the EC2 Generic Step
- Create a new blueprint or edit an existing one. Ensure the Deploy page of the Blueprint Designer is displayed.
- In the left pane, expand Cloud Steps and drag and drop the EC2 Generic Step into your blueprint.
- In Environment, select an Amazon EC2 resource location. The Configure EC2 Generic Step window opens.
- Select the Region for your resource location
- In Select an API, select an EC2 API. For example, you can select the DescribeVolumes API.
- Add parameters, if applicable. The parameters you can add vary according to the API you select.
- Click Test. Smart Tools issues an API call and the API response appears.
- Click OK to save your step configurations. You can now chain step inputs across the blueprint to output data generated using the chosen API.
To chain step inputs to EC2 API output
After you configure the EC2 Generic Step to generate output data using a specific EC2 API call, you can chain step inputs to the API output. To configure steps to receive API output, you must specify the API item number and attribute you wish to use as input, using the step Input Reference Tree.
- Click the Inputs tab for the step.
- Click Edit and then click the Reference Tree button for the parameter in which you want to use API output. The Reference Tree window appears.
- Expand Authoring and then expand EC2 Generic Step.
- Select the attribute whose value you want passed as input to the step.
- Click OK to save your selection.
- Click OK again to save the step.