- Step 1: Select the blueprint
- Step 2: Name the deployment
- Step 3: Select a resource location
- Step 4: Review the deployment requirements
- Step 5: Select machines for deployment
- Step 6: Enter deployment parameters
- Step 7: Create a deployment profile
- Step 8: Deploy the blueprint
This topic describes how to deploy a blueprint using an Citrix XenServer resource location that you have added to Smart Tools (as described in Add a Citrix XenServer resource location).
If you want to use XenServer as a resource location, but don't want to supply the credentials needed to add it to Smart Tools, you can deploy blueprints using existing VMs that you provision. To do this, see Deploy a blueprint using existing machines.
Before you deploy blueprints to your XenServer resource location, you must first prepare a machine template. Smart Tools uses the template to create new VMs with the same configuration. For more information about preparing a template for use with Smart Tools blueprints, see Prepare Windows Server VM templates for deploying blueprints.
Step 1: Select the blueprint
- On the Library page, point to the blueprint you want to deploy.
- Under Actions, click Actions > Deploy. The blueprint description page appears.
- Click Start deployment setup. The Enter Profile page appears.
Step 2: Name the deployment
- In Deployment Name, enter a friendly name for your deployment.
- In Deployment profile, select an existing deployment profile with the deployment settings you want to use.
Note: Deployment profiles are settings that are saved from a previous blueprint deployment. The deployment profile you select must match the blueprint you are deploying and the resource location you want to use. You cannot use a deployment profile that was created using a different blueprint or a different resource location. For more information, see About deployment profiles.
- Click Next. The Resource Location page appears.
Step 3: Select a resource location
- In Resource Location, select the Citrix XenServer resource location where you want to deploy the blueprint. If the resource location you want to use does not exist, click Add Resource Location and follow the steps described in Add a Citrix XenServer resource location.
Note: If you intend to deploy the blueprint using existing AWS instances, select All Existing Machines.
- Click Next. The Pre-deployment Checklist appears.
Step 4: Review the deployment requirements
The Pre-deployment Checklist displays recommendations for provisioned VMs, VM template requirements, and deployment parameters for your blueprint based on the resource location you previously selected. To save time configuring your deployment, you can download the deployment parameters, enter the appropriate values, and import the updated parameters later in the deployment process (see section Step 6: Enter deployment parameters in this topic).
- Review each section of the Pre-deployment Checklist to verify your VM templates and resource location meet the stated requirements.
- (Optional) Click Export parameter list to download the deployment parameters in CSV format. Enter the appropriate values using a text editor or spreadsheet application. You can import these parameters on the Configuration page of the deployment process.
- Click Continue. The Size page appears.
Step 5: Select machines for deployment
When you deploy the blueprint, Smart Tools can provision new VMs in your resource location or use existing machines that you specify for each machine tier in the blueprint. By default, the Create new VMs option is selected.
To create new VMs during deployment
- Ensure Create new VMs is selected.
- Select the Citrix XenServer resource location from the list. The Configure VM dialog box appears.
- On the Parameters page, configure the following settings and then click Next:
- Create Server Method: Choose a server creation method. To create a server using a prepared machine image, select Create from template. To create a server using an XVA file, select Import from XVA.
- VM Name: Enter a name for the provisioned machine. Example: MyVM
- Place VM in Host: If the XenServer resource location includes a resource pool, select the XenServer host where the provisioned machines will reside.
- Launch Template: Select the prepared machine image you want to use to provision the machine.
- Number of vCPU: Enter the appropriate number of vCPUs for the provisioned machine.
- Topology: Select the appropriate number of cores per socket for the provisioned machine.
- Memory Size: Enter the amount of memory in MB with which to provision the machine.
- MAC Address: You can set a MAC address or auto-generate a MAC address for a selected network interface card (NIC). By default, Auto generate MAC address is selected for the primary NIC. To add multiple NICs, click Add NIC. To set the MAC address, point to the NIC you want to modify and then click Set MAC. Enter a MAC address in the field provided.
- Set Static IP: Select this option to configure the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway addresses for the provisioned machine. For more information, see Set static IP addresses for XenServer VM templates.
To use existing machines
- Select Use existing machines.
- Select a machine from the list. After you select a machine, Smart Tools displays the IP address.
- Click Next. The Configuration page appears.
Step 6: Enter deployment parameters
- For each section of the blueprint, enter the appropriate parameters that Smart Tools will use to deploy the blueprint.
- (Optional) If you downloaded the deployment parameters from the Pre-deployment Checklist in Step 4: Review the deployment requirements, under Import parameters, click Choose File to upload the updated parameters in CSV format.
- Click Next.
Step 7: Create a deployment profile
Deployment profiles enable you to reuse your current deployment settings in the event you want to deploy the blueprint again to the same resource location. Using a deployment profile, you skip several steps in the deployment process, saving time and minimizing input errors. Creating a deployment profile is optional.
- Enter a friendly name for the profile.
- (Optional) Enter a description.
- Click Save. If you do not want to create a profile, click Cancel.
Step 8: Deploy the blueprint
- Review the deployment summary.
- Click Deploy.
After the deployment begins, Smart Tools displays the status of the deployment in the Deployment Details page. The Deployment Details page includes the real-time progress of each step in your blueprint. Depending on machine availability and the complexity of the blueprint, the deployment might take some time to complete, and some blueprint steps might take longer than others.