This page has moved to docs.citrix.com. You can now find all Smart Tools documentation at the Citrix Product Documentation site. Please update any page links to the new URL: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/smart-tools/deploy-blueprints/deploy-blueprint-microsoft-azure-classic.html.
- Step 1: Select the blueprint
- Step 2: Name the deployment
- Step 3: Select a resource location
- Step 4: Review the deployment requirements
- Step 5: Select machines for deployment
- Step 6: Enter blueprint parameters
- Step 7: Create a deployment profile
- Step 8: Deploy the blueprint
This topic describes how to deploy a blueprint using a Microsoft Azure Classic resource location that you have added to Smart Tools (as described in Add a Microsoft Azure Classic resource location).
Important: If you want to use Azure Resource Manager as a resource location, which is currently not supported in Smart Tools, you can deploy blueprints using existing VMs that you provision. To do this, see Deploy a blueprint using existing machines.
Step 1: Select the blueprint
- On the Library page, point to the blueprint you want to deploy.
- Under Actions, click Actions > Deploy. The blueprint description page appears.
- Click Start deployment setup. The Enter Profile page appears.
Step 2: Name the deployment
- In Deployment Name, enter a friendly name for your deployment.
- In Deployment profile, select an existing deployment profile with the deployment settings you want to use.
Note: Deployment profiles are settings that are saved from a previous blueprint deployment. The deployment profile you select must match the blueprint you are deploying and the resource location you want to use. You cannot use a deployment profile that was created using a different blueprint or a different resource location. For more information, see About deployment profiles.
- Click Next. The Resource Location page appears.
Step 3: Select a resource location
- In Resource Location, select the Microsoft Azure Classic resource location where you want to deploy the blueprint. If the resource location you want to use does not exist, click Add Resource Location and follow the steps described in Add a Microsoft Azure Classic resource location.
- Click Next. The Pre-deployment Checklist appears.
Step 4: Review the deployment requirements
The Pre-deployment Checklist displays recommendations for provisioned VMs, VM template requirements, and deployment parameters for your blueprint based on the resource location you previously selected. To save time configuring your deployment, you can download the deployment parameters, enter the appropriate values, and import the updated parameters later in the deployment process (see section Step 6: Enter blueprint parameters in this topic). For more information on Pre-deployment Checklist page, see About pre-deployment checklist.
- Review each section of the Pre-deployment Checklist to verify your VM templates and resource location meet the stated requirements.
- (Optional) Click Export parameter list to download the deployment parameters in CSV format. Enter the appropriate values using a text editor or spreadsheet application. You can import these parameters on the Configuration page of the deployment process.
- Click Continue.
Step 5: Select machines for deployment
When you deploy the blueprint, Smart Tools can provision new VMs in your resource location or use existing machines that you specify for each machine tier in the blueprint. By default, the Create new VMs option is selected.
Smart Tools creates new VMs using a prepared VM template. For information about how to prepare a VM template, see Prepare Windows Server VM templates for deploying blueprints.
To create new VMs during deployment
- Create new VMs is selected.
- Select the Microsoft Azure Classic resource location from the list. The Configure VM dialog box appears.
- On the Choose An Image page, select a machine image from the listed images. You can choose 32- or 64-bit machine images from Windows, Linux or My Images panel based on your requirement.
- On the Instance Details page, configure the instance and then click Next:
- VM Name: Specify a friendly name.
- Machine Size: Select machine specifications that suits your requirement.
- Location: Select a location.
- Virtual Network: Create a virtual network and subnet or select an existing virtual network and subnet.
- Cloud Service: Create a new cloud service or select an existing service.
- Storage Account: Create a new storage account or select an existing account.
- On the Security and Network page, configure the following settings and click Next:
- Ensure that Install Citrix Smart Tools Agent on new VMs is selected.
- Username: Enter a username for the VM
- Password: Enter a password for the VM
- On the Summary page, review the configuration and click Finish. The Configure VM dialog box closes, returning you to the Size page.
div class="note">Note: If you have multiple server steps configured in your blueprint, you can copy VM configuration data from one server tier to another during blueprint deployment. To copy the VM configuration data to other VM tiers, select Copy this configuration to other VM tiers. If the blueprint includes recommended configuration parameters for these tiers, the parameters are used appropriately.
- Click Next. The Configuration page appears.
To use existing machines
- Select Use existing machines.
- Select a machine from the list. After you select a machine, Smart Tools displays the IP address.
- Click Next. The Configuration page appears.
Step 6: Enter blueprint parameters
- For each section of the blueprint, enter the appropriate parameters that Smart Tools will use to deploy the blueprint.
- (Optional) If you downloaded the deployment parameters from the Pre-deployment Checklist in Step 4: Review deployment requirements, under Import parameters, click Choose File to upload the updated parameters in CSV format.
- Click Next.
Step 7: Create a deployment profile
Deployment profiles enable you to reuse your current deployment settings in the event you want to deploy the blueprint again to the same resource location. Using a deployment profile, you skip several steps in the deployment process, saving time and minimizing input errors. Creating a deployment profile is optional.
- Enter a friendly name for the profile.
- (Optional) Enter a description.
- Click Save. If you do not want to create a profile, click Cancel.
Step 8: Deploy the blueprint
- Review the deployment summary.
- Click Deploy.
After the deployment begins, Smart Tools displays the status of the deployment in the Deployment Details page. The Deployment Details page includes the real-time progress of each step in your blueprint. Depending on machine availability and the complexity of the blueprint, the deployment might take some time to complete, and some blueprint steps might take longer than others.