This feature allows you to rerun a section or tier of a blueprint during a deployment error based on the following conditions:
- The blueprint must be configured to pause on deployment error.
- You can resume the deployment from the current step. This functionality is supported for Script, Server, and Reboot steps.
- You can resume the deployment from any previous step. This functionality is supported for Script and Reboot steps if the step is not configured to path a Server step or conditional evaluation.
- You can resume the deployment from the next step. This functionality is supported for Script , Server, and Reboot steps.
The following example demonstrates the rerun feature with a simple workflow.
Step 1: Create a blueprint
- From the menu bar, click Smart Build.
- Click New Blueprint.
- Enter the name of the blueprint.
- Click the Deploy tab.
- Under the Options tab, select Pause from the On failure box.
If the deployment fails due to any error in the blueprint, the deployment will pause and the Resume option will appear.
Step 2: Add and configure steps
- Drag and drop these steps in the given order from the left pane of the blueprint designer (Cloud Steps and Utility Steps):
- Server step
- Wait step
- Manual step
- Wait step
- Set the wait time as 30 seconds in the wait steps. The default is 180 seconds.
- Click Save to save the blueprint.
Step 3: Deploy the blueprint
- Click Deploy at the right side of the blueprint designer. Alternatively, you can deploy the blueprint from the Library page.
- Click Start Deployment setup and click Continue.
- Enter the deployment information and click Next.
- Review the number of VMs and click Next.
- Select the VM tier, configure the VM settings and click Next.
- Review the deployment configuration and click Next.
- Review the blueprint summary and click Deploy.
Step 4: View deployment information and rerun steps
- In the Deployments page, click the deployment under the IN PROGRESS section.
- You can view the progress of the deployment under the Deployment Details tab.
- The Server step, Wait step, and the Manual step run and the blueprint deployment pauses at the Manual step.
- Select Resume > Select step to rerun. The following options are available:
Option Description Retry paused step and resume
Reruns the paused step and runs the subsequent steps
Skip paused step and resume
Skips the paused step and runs the subsequent steps
Resume from previously executed step
Lists the server and conditional steps you can rerun. Reruns the selected step and runs the subsequent steps
Based on the selected option, the deployment runs and completes. In this example, we select the option Skip paused step and resume. The deployment is completed.
Rerun a Server step on failure
You can rerun a Server step on failure, if the Server step is configured in the blueprint to pause on failure.
To rerun a Server step on failure:
- Select Resume > Select step to rerun after the deployment is paused.
- Select Retry paused step and resume.
The Server step runs again and creates new VM instances. The number of VM instances created depends on the number of VM instances configured in the blueprint or during blueprint deployment. In case of a Server step failure, the blueprint deployment pauses and the Resume button appears.
Note: For each Server step rerun, new VM instances are created based on the blueprint configuration. Smart Tools does not teardown the VMs already created during Server step failure. You need to manually remove the VMs created during step failure on your resource location.