- Step 1: Create a migration project
- Step 2: Connect your site and farm to Smart Tools
- Step 3: Select applications and policies for migration
This topic describes migrating a XenApp 6.x deployment to an existing XenApp 7.x deployment that you specify. To do this, Smart Tools connects to your XenApp 6.x farm, collects farm data, allows you to select the applications and policies, and finally migrate them to XenApp 7.x farm.
Important: Before performing a migration, review the migration prerequisites described in Prepare to migrate your XenApp 6.x or VDI-in-a-Box 5.4 deployment.
Step 1: Create migration project
- Log on to the Citrix Smart Tools web site. The home page appears.
- From the menu bar, click Smart Migrate and then click Add Migration Project. The Add Migration Project wizard appears.
- Enter a friendly name and, optionally, a description for your project.
- In Migration Type, select XenApp 6.0 to XenApp 7.x or XenApp 6.5 to XenApp 7.x, depending on the XenApp version you want to migrate.
- Click Add. The project page for your migration appears.
Step 2: Connect your site and farm to Smart Tools
- On the migration project page, the Fully Automated option is selected by default. Scroll down and click Next.
- In the XenApp 7.x deployment details section, choose one of the following options:
- Skip this for now. You can define XenApp 7.x deployment details while selecting applications and policies for migration.
- Connect to an existing deployment created outside of Smart Tools. You can select an existing deployment that you created with your own processes.
- Choose an existing deployment created with Smart Tools. If there are no XenApp 7.x deployments available, you can create a new deployment using the XenApp and XenDesktop blueprint in Smart Tools. Click How do I create a new deployment for an overview. For instructions, see the topics in the Resource locations section and the Deploy XenApp and XenDesktop to a production environment topic.
- In Add XenApp 7.x environment, click Select environment and then select All Existing Machines.
- In Select XenApp 7.x controller, click Select XenApp Controller and then select a Delivery Controller in your XenApp 7.x site. If there is no Delivery Controller in the drop-down list, select Cannot see Controller Server.
- Click Download to download the Connector.
- Install Citrix Smart Tools Agent.
- Click Refresh to refresh the drop-down list. The XenApp 7.x controller appears in the drop-down list.
- Select the controller.
- Supply the domain administrator credentials for the Delivery Controller and then click Save. Proceed to Step 5 (Add your XenApp 6.x farm and analyze settings).
- Choose the XenApp 7.x deployment from the drop-down list.
- Click on Select the XenApp 7.x Controller. The XenApp Controller details page appears.
- Select the XenApp Controller from the drop-down list and provide the user name and password credentials. Click Save.
- In Add XenApp 6.x environment, click Select environment and then select All Existing Machines.
- In Select XenApp 6.x Controller, click Select XenApp Controller and then select a controller from your XenApp 6.x deployment.
- Supply the domain administrator credentials for the controller and then click Save.
- Click Analyze XenApp farm. Smart Tools collects application and policy data from the farm and adds the data to an XML file. After the analysis is finished, Smart Tools displays the number of applications, policies, and servers in the farm.
Step 3: Select applications and policies for migration
If you chose Option 1 (Skip this for now) in the previous section, then you have to provide the XenApp 7.x deployment details before proceeding with the following steps.
- Under Migration Details, click the Analyzed Applications category and select the applications you want to migrate.
- Click the Analyzed Policies category and select the policies you want to migrate.
- Click Proceed to Migration. Smart Tools prompts you to create a batch for the items you selected and choose a Delivery Group.
- Enter a name for the batch. By default, the batch name is automatically generated; however, you can change this to a different name.
- The Delivery Group displays the following options in the drop-down list:
- Use default Delivery Group: The applications and policies are migrated to the default Delivery Group.
- List of Delivery Group available: Choose from the listed Delivery Group.
- Cannot see an existing Delivery Group? Refresh list: This refreshes the list and fetches the latest list of the Delivery Group from the 7.x controller.
- Create new Delivery Group: Use this option to create a new Delivery Group.
During the migration process, Smart Tools creates a Delivery Group in the XenApp 7.x site and imports the selected application and policy settings from XenApp 6.x.
To verify migration was successful, launch Citrix Studio and connect to the site. In the left pane, click Delivery Groups. In the top middle pane, the Delivery Groups tab displays the new Delivery Group. In the lower middle pane, the Applications tab displays the migrated applications in the new Delivery Group.