- Step 1: Create an migration project
- Step 2: Add your VDI-in-a-Box environment
- Step 3: Select a golden image VM
- Step 4: Upload the migration PowerShell script
- Step 5: Select the XenDesktop Delivery Controller
- Step 6: Run the migration script
- Step 7: Verify the migration
This topic describes migrating an existing VDI-in-a-Box 5.4 deployment to a new XenDesktop 7.x deployment that you specify. To do this, Smart Tools connects to your VDI-in-a-Box environment, runs the migration script, and migrates your virtual desktops from the VDI-in-a-Box environment to your XenDesktop Site.
Important: Before performing a migration, review the migration prerequisites described in Prepare to migrate your XenApp 6.x or VDI-in-a-Box 5.4 deployment.
Step 1: Create a migration project
- Log on to the Citrix Smart Tools web site. The home page appears.
- From the menu bar, click Smart Migrate and then click Add a Migration Project. The Add Migration Project wizard appears.
- Enter a friendly name and, optionally, a description for your project.
- In Migration Type, select VDI in a Box 5.4 to XenDesktop 7.x.
- Click Add. The migration project page appears.
Step 2: Add your VDI-in-a-Box environment
On the migration project page, in the Add VDI-in-a-box environment/resource location section, select the resource location where your VDI-in-a-Box deployment resides. If you need to add the hypervisor you are using for VDI-in-a-Box to Smart Tools as a resource location, see Resource Locations for instructions.
Step 3: Select a golden image VM
- Click Select Golden Image VM. The Select Golden Image VM page appears.
- Select a VM from the list of VMs not managed by Smart Tools or managed by Smart Tools.
Note: The VMs that do not have the Smart Tools Agent installed are listed under Not Managed by Smart Tools. The VMs that have the Smart Tools Agent already installed are listed under the section Managed by Smart Tools.
- Enter the username and password of the golden image VM.
- Click Save. The selected VM details appear below the Select exported VDI-in-a-Box golden image section.
Step 4: Upload the migration PowerShell script
Important: Before performing this step, ensure the migration script downloaded from the VDI-in-a-Box console is in UTF-8 encoded format.
Click Upload PowerShell script and select the migration script (xd-create-machine-inventory.ps1). The selected file details appears below the Upload (UTF-8 encoded) exported PowerShell scripts section.
Step 5: Select XenDesktop Delivery Controller
- Click Select XenDesktop Controller. The Select XenDesktop Controller page appears.
- Select a XenDesktop controller from the list of available controllers.
- Enter the username and password of the XenDesktop controller.
- Click Save. The selected XenDesktop controller details appear below the Select XenDesktop Delivery Controller section.
Step 6: Run the migration script
Click Run Migration scripts. Smart Tools runs the uploaded PowerShell script and sets up the XenApp and XenDesktop service. The Migration Successful message appears after migration is complete.
Step 7: Verify the migration
- Enter the URL in the following format: http://<XenDesktop-Delivery-Controller-IP-address>/Citrix/StoreWeb/. For example: http: //126.96.36.199/Citrix/StoreWeb/.
- Accept the Licence Agreement, download and install Citrix Receiver, and click Continue if prompted.
- Enter the credentials of a VDI-in-a-Box user and click Log On. All the migrated virtual desktops associated with the user appear in Citrix Receiver.