This page has moved to docs.citrix.com. You can now find all Smart Tools documentation at the Citrix Product Documentation site. Please update any page links to the new URL: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/smart-tools/citrix-solutions-deployments/deploy-xenmobile-mdm-edition-blueprint.html.
The XenMobile MDM Edition blueprint configures XenMobile Enterprise or Advanced Edition which consists of a pair of XenMobile appliances, a NetScaler Gateway, and MDM and Enrollment Load Balancers.
- What do the blueprints do?
- Which resource locations are supported?
- Who should use these blueprints?
- Prepare for deployment
- Deploy the blueprints
What does the blueprint do?
The XenMobile MDM Edition blueprint includes a collection of PowerShell scripts that perform the following tasks:
- Deploys primary and secondary XenMobile servers.
- Configures NetScaler.
- Configures MDM and Enrollment load balancers.
These scripts run on a Windows Server 2012 R2 "helper" server. During the deployment you can allow the blueprint to create a new helper server or you may elect to use an existing machine.
Important: If you use an existing machine, it must have the Smart Tools Agent installed so that Smart Tools can detect it in your resource location.
Helper server recommendations
The blueprint includes the following recommended configuration for the helper server that Smart Tools provisions to the deployment:
- Operating system: Windows Server 2012 R2
- Storage available in the resource location: 32 GB
- vCPUs: 2
- Memory: 2 GB
For more technical information about XenMobile, see docs.citrix.com.
Which resource locations are supported?
You can deploy the XenMobile MDM Edition blueprint on the following resource location types:
- Citrix XenServer 6.2 and 6.5
- VMware vSphere 5.1 and 5.5
- Microsoft Hyper-V
Who should use these blueprints?
The blueprint is intended for use by a XenMobile administrator. You should be familiar with the architecture and terminology of a XenMobile deployment. For more information, refer to the XenMobile product documentation at http://docs.citrix.com.
Prepare for deployment
Before you deploy the XenMobile blueprints, use the following tasks to prepare your environment.
Prep Task 1: Prepare the XenMobile appliance file
The XenMobile appliance file is included in the XenMobile product available for download from the Citrix web site. Ensure the appliance file (in XVA or OVA format) is available on a local web server for importing to your resource location. You will specify this file location during blueprint deployment.
Prep Task 2: Prepare a Windows Server template
Prepare a Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine template for your chosen resource location. Smart Tools uses this template to provision the helper server. For instructions for creating this template, see Prepare Windows Server VM templates for deploying blueprints.
Prep Task 3: Credentials for the XenMobile administrator
You will need to specify the following items during deployment:
- A password to assign to the XenMobile server console administrator account
- A username and password to create the account for accessing the XenMobile web console
Prep Task 4: Identify the Active Directory domain
XenMobile uses Active Directory for user authentication. Identify the fully qualified domain name you intend to assign to the XenMobile server cluster.
Prep Task 5: Prepare database and NetScaler resources
Identify the address and credentials for the following resources in your environment:
- An existing Microsoft SQL Server on which the XenMobile database will be created
- An existing Microsoft Active Directory (LDAP) server to be used for user authentication
- An existing NetScaler appliance that will be used to configure the MDM Load Balancers required by the system
Prep Task 6: Prepare IP addresses
Identify an available IP address to assign to the MDM and Enrollment Load Balancers. One IP address will be shared between the two load balancers.
Prep Task 7: Prepare certificates
During blueprint deployment, you will need to supply a file containing an X.509 certificate and private key (in PEM or PFX format) to assign to the MDM and Enrollment Load Balancers. This certificate typically has a name corresponding to the FQDN you assign to the XenMobile servers.
Additionally, identify the URL of the server where the certificate resides so the blueprint can download it during deployment.
Deploy the blueprints
Deploying these blueprints follows the same general process that you follow for any blueprint in the Checks and Blueprints catalog. For more information about this process, refer to the following topics in Deploy blueprints:
- Deploy a blueprint to a Citrix XenServer resource location
- Deploy a blueprint to a VMware vSphere resource location
- Deploy a blueprint to a Microsoft Hyper-V resource location
Configuration for primary and secondary XenMobile tiers
The blueprint includes parameters for acquiring the XenMobile appliance file and importing it to your resource location. When you configure the primary and secondary XenMobile machine tiers in Smart Tools, perform the following actions for each step in the Configure VM wizard:
- On the Parameters page, import the XVA or OVA appliance file and specify the file location and VM host where the file will be downloaded.
- On the Storage page, select the storage repository for the new VM.
- On the Networking page, select the appropriate network, if applicable. Select the Static IP checkbox and enter the IP address, netmask, and gateway for the appliance.
- On the Agent page, installation of the Smart Tools Agent is disabled by default for the Primary and Secondary XenMobile machine tiers. Only the Helper Server tier requires the agent to be installed.
Save time by downloading configuration settings from the Pre-Deployment Checklist
When you deploy these blueprints, you will need to configure a number of blueprint settings such as server IP addresses and credentials, certificate information, and NetScaler information. To save time and minimize errors during deployment, consider downloading these settings beforehand as a CSV file that you can update and import to the blueprint. The CSV file contains complete descriptions for each setting so you can enter the right information in the correct format.
The CSV file is available from the blueprint's Pre-deployment Checklist. You can access the checklist by:
- Viewing the blueprint in the Blueprint Designer. On the Overview tab, click Preview pre-deployment checklist.
- Deploying the blueprint. The Pre-deployment Checklist displays automatically after you supply the resource location where you want to deploy the blueprint.
On the Pre-deployment Checklist, scroll down to the bottom and click Export parameter list (.csv).
After you have updated the CSV file with the required values, you can import it at the Configuration step in the blueprint deployment process.