- Add a site and install Site Agents
Smart Scale displays XenApp and XenDesktop Sites using the following methods:
- Smart Scale discovers the Site automatically.
- You add the Site to Smart Scale by installing the Smart Tools Site Agent on at least one Delivery Controller in the Site.
When you click the Smart Scale menu tab to display the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page, Smart Tools automatically discovers and displays the following Sites:
- Sites that you previously added to Smart Check.
- Sites that you deployed using a Smart Tools blueprint.
You can initiate discovery at any time by refreshing your browser.
Smart Tools Site Agent
Depending on your Site, installing the Site Agent might be required for using Smart Scale.
You need to install the Site Agent if one of the following applies:
- Your Site was deployed on a supported hypervisor such as Citrix XenServer, VMware vSphere, or Microsoft Hyper-V, and does not already have the Site Agent installed.
- Your Site was deployed with a Smart Tools blueprint that does not automatically install the Site Agent on Delivery Controllers during blueprint deployment. If you deployed your Site using the XenApp and XenDesktop with SQL blueprint, the XenApp and XenDesktop without SQL blueprint, or a custom blueprint that does not include the Register Site built-in step, you need to install the Site Agent and add your Site to Smart Scale.
You don't need to install the Site Agent if one of the following applies:
- You previously added your Site to Smart Check. The Site Agent is already installed, so you don't need to install it again for Smart Scale.
- You used the Simple XenApp and XenDesktop Proof of Concept or XenApp and XenDesktop Proof of Concept blueprints to deploy your Site. These blueprints install the Site Agent on the Delivery Controllers in the Site during blueprint deployment, so you don't need to install the agent again for Smart Scale.
Add a Site and install Site Agents
Important: This section applies only to XenApp and XenDesktop deployments that use a supported on-premises host platform (such as Citrix XenServer) or a cloud service provider (such as AWS). If you are using the XenApp and XenDesktop Service in Citrix Cloud for your XenApp and XenDesktop Site, use the instructions in Add a XenApp and XenDesktop Service Site to Smart Scale instead.
Before you can enable Smart Scale on your Site, you must add your Site to Smart Tools. When you add your Site, you download and install the Smart Tools Site Agent on at least one Delivery Controller in your Site. The agent enables Smart Tools to communicate with and monitor your Site and coordinates scaling actions.
To ensure Smart Tools can monitor and scale your Site without interruption, Citrix strongly recommends installing the Site Agent on multiple Delivery Controllers in your Site.
Before you set up Smart Scale for your Site, you must meet the following requirements:
- Review the Smart Tools Site Agent section in this topic to make sure the agent is required for your Site. Depending on how your Site was deployed, you might not need to install the agent.
- The Delivery Controller must support PowerShell 3.0, at a minimum.
- Ensure the Smart Tools Agent is not installed on the Delivery Controller. If you deployed your Site with a Smart Tools blueprint, the Smart Tools Agent is installed on all servers in the deployment. To use Smart Scale with your Site, you must uninstall this agent from the Delivery Controllers before you install the Site Agent.
Minimum user account requirements
After you install the Site Agent, Smart Tools prompts you to enter Citrix administrator credentials to set up Smart Scale. This allows Smart Tools to impersonate the administrator when performing monitoring and scaling activities. The Citrix administrator account you use must meet the following minimum requirements:
- The account is assigned the Delivery Group Administrator role in Citrix Studio.
- The account belongs to the Domain Users group in Active Directory.
To add a Site
- Log on to a Delivery Controller as an administrator.
Note: If you log on as a domain user that does not belong to the Domain Admins group, you can still install the agent; however, Windows might prompt you for administrator credentials during installation. Windows requests these credentials if your account does not have sufficient permission to install the agent. Smart Tools does not store or transmit these credentials.
- Open a web browser and log on to the Smart Tools web site.
- From the menu bar, click Smart Scale.
- On the Smart Scale page, click Add Site.
- From the Add Site page, click Download Agent and then run the CitrixLifecycleManagementAgent.msi file. Follow the wizard to install the agent. After installation, the agent registers the Delivery Controller with Smart Tools, which can take a few minutes to complete. After registering successfully, the Add Site page displays a green check mark indicating successful installation. Click Next.
- Enter the username (in domain\username format) and password for the Citrix administrator account you want to use and then click Add Site. The Citrix administrator account must have either the Delivery Group Administrator or Full Administrator role.
- To view the Site in Smart Tools, log on to Smart Tools and click Smart Scale. The Smart Scale page displays the newly added Site.
After you add your Site, Smart Tools analyzes it to discover the Delivery Controller and Delivery Groups it contains. Smart Tools then displays it on the Smart Scale page.
To install the Site Agent on additional Delivery Controllers in your Site
- From the Smart Scale page, locate the Site you want to modify and click View Site.
- Click the Site Details tab and then locate the Delivery Controller where you want to install the Site Agent.
- Click Install Agent. Smart Tools installs the Site Agent on the selected Delivery Controller.
When the Site Agent registers with Smart Tools, you receive an email notification. On the Site Details page, the Delivery Controller displays "Online" for the Agent status. Additionally, the Delivery Controller displays "Available" to indicate the agent is available to be the active agent if the currently active agent is offline.