- Supported environments
Smart Check (formerly Update) enables you to run regular health checks on your Citrix environment. Smart Check helps you find and fix issues before your users are impacted. With Smart Check, you can:
- Schedule and run a wide variety of health checks on your site.
- Learn about any potential health issues affecting your site.
- Find recommended fixes and product updates for the Delivery Controllers and Machine Catalogs in your XenApp and XenDesktop Site.
- View comprehensive reports about your Site's health.
Smart Check is supported for the following items:
- Deployments running XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6 LTSR and 7.11.
- XenApp and XenDesktop deployments running on the following cloud providers and hypervisors:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Azure Resource Manager
- Citrix XenServer 6.2, 6.5, 7.0, and 7.1
- VMware vSphere 5.1, 5.5, and 6.0
- Machine Catalogs that use Machine Creation Services (MCS).
Smart Check is not supported for deployments using the XenApp and XenDesktop Service in Citrix Cloud.
Supported Site components
When performing health checks, Smart Check displays results only for the following Site components:
- Delivery Controllers
- Delivery Groups (created through XenDesktop or Provisioning Services)
- Machine Catalogs
Smart Check does not currently display information for other components such as Storefront or NetScaler.
To take advantage of all Smart Check features, you must install the Smart Tools Site Agent on one or more Delivery Controllers in your XenApp and XenDesktop Site.
The Site Agent is a lightweight software package that allows Smart Tools to communicate with your Site over port 443 to collect Site information and run scheduled checks. Once installed, the agent registers your Site with Smart Check and Smart Scale and works with Smart Tools to detect the Delivery Controllers and Machine Catalogs in your Site, analyze your Site for issues, and search for applicable fixes and updates.
Citrix recommends installing the Site Agent on multiple Delivery Controllers so Smart Tools can always communicate with your Site to perform scheduled checks and look for applicable fixes and updates.
To install the agent successfully, Delivery Controllers must meet the following requirements:
- Support at least PowerShell 3.0.
- Allow outbound communication on port 443. The agent communicates with Smart Tools on this port to analyze your Site and coordinate health check activities.
For more information about installing the Site Agent, see Add a site to Smart Check.
To install the Smart Tools Site Agent on a Delivery Controller and add the Site, you need to have the Smart Tools Administrator role assigned to your Smart Tools account. Smart Tools users with the Architect or Operator roles can install the Site Agent on a Site but Smart Tools cannot successfully add the Site. By default, the Administrator role is automatically assigned when users are initially added to Smart Tools. For more information about Smart Tools user roles, see User roles and permissions.
When you install the Smart Tools Site Agent, you are prompted to supply an account that Smart Check can use to run checks and look for applicable fixes and updates for your Site. This account must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Member of the Domain Users group in Active Directory.
- Full Administrator role for the Site in Citrix Studio.
Requirements for using Smart Check without the agent
If you choose not to install the agent, you can still use Smart Check to perform manual health checks.
Smart Check can discover your Site using XenApp and XenDesktop Call Home or Citrix Scout. Smart Check analyzes Call Home and Citrix Scout data and displays potential issues or applicable updates.
For Smart Check to discover your Site, the following requirements must be met:
- Diagnostics uploads from your Site using Call Home or Citrix Scout must exist.
- You must use the same Citrix account that's associated with those diagnostics uploads to access Smart Tools.
To perform health checks, you first use Call Home or Citrix Scout and then perform checks manually in Smart Check. After Smart Check analyzes your data, you can address any issues or updates using your own processes, outside of Smart Tools.
Important: To schedule all available health checks to run on your Site, you must install the Site Agent.