- Set up new Sites in Smart Check
- Discover Sites with Call Home or Citrix Scout
- Add a Site with the Smart Tools Site Agent
- Install the Smart Tools agent on additional Delivery Controllers in your Site
Before you can use Smart Check, Smart Tools needs to be aware of your Site either through discovery or registration. When your Site is discovered or registered with Smart Tools, Smart Check automatically displays it on the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page.
Smart Tools can automatically discover your Site when you perform one of the following tasks:
- You connect to Smart Tools and enable Call Home through the XenApp and XenDesktop installer, when you install the first Delivery Controller in your Site. This option is available in XenApp and XenDesktop 7.14 and later. Afterward, additional configuration is needed before you can perform health checks. For instructions, see Set up new Sites in Smart Check in this topic.
- Your Site uses Call Home or you have Citrix Scout diagnostics uploads associated with your Citrix ID with which you log on to Smart Tools. By default, automatic discovery is turned off for these Sites. To turn on automatic discovery for these Sites, see Discover Sites with Call Home or Citrix Scout in this topic.
You can initiate discovery at any time by refreshing your browser.
To register your Site with Smart Tools, you install the Smart Tools Site Agent on at least one Delivery Controller in your Site. For instructions, see Add a Site with the Smart Tools Site Agent in this topic.
You need to register your Site with Smart Tools if one of the following applies:
- You did not connect to Smart Tools or enable Call Home when you first installed XenApp and XenDesktop. For example, the version you installed did not include that option in the installer.
- You enabled only Call Home on your Site or you use Citrix Scout to collect diagnostics information about your Site. Although you can still use Smart Check without registering your Site, Smart Check can only perform health checks at the default daily interval that was assigned when Smart Tools initially discovered your Site. You cannot schedule checks without the Site Agent.
- Your Site was deployed with a Smart Tools blueprint that does not automatically install the Site Agent on Delivery Controllers during blueprint deployment. This includes the XenApp and XenDesktop with SQL blueprint, the XenApp and XenDesktop without SQL blueprint, and any custom blueprints that do not include the Register Site built-in step.
Once installed, the agent enables Smart Check to perform the full range of health checks on the Delivery Controllers, Machine Catalogs, and Delivery Groups in your Site and allows you to schedule health checks at suitable intervals.
Set up new Sites in Smart Check
If you installed XenApp and XenDesktop 7.14 or later and chose to connect to Smart Tools and enable Call Home during the installation process, Smart Tools automatically discovers your Site and displays it on the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page in Smart Check. However, you need to complete the setup of your Site in Smart Check before you can perform health checks.
To complete Site setup in Smart Check
- From the Smart Tools menu bar, click Smart Check. The XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page displays a card for your Site.
- On your Site's card, click Complete Setup.
- In Username, enter the username for the Full Administrator account for your Site in domain/username format.
- In Password, enter the password for the Full Administrator account for your Site.
- Click Done. Smart Tools verifies your Citrix administrator credentials and updates the Site.
To initiate health checks right away, click Get Started.
After a few minutes, Smart Check discovers the components in your Site, detects the master images associated with the Machine Catalogs in your Site, performs an initial round of health checks, and looks for applicable updates. When the analysis is finished, Smart Check displays the Health Alerts page which shows the number of items found for each Site component. Smart Check also sends you email notifications for each health check performed with the results.
To view the alerts for the items found, click the Site component with the items you want to see. For more information about managing these alerts, see Manage Smart Check alerts and notifications.
Discover Sites with Call Home or Citrix Scout
For Sites that that use Call Home or Citrix Scout, you can enable and disable discovery in Smart Check. When discovery is enabled, Smart Check discovers Sites based on any diagnostic uploads that are associated with your Citrix ID and displays them on the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page. When discovery is disabled, these Sites no longer appear in Smart Check.
If you want to enable discovery for all Sites with diagnostic uploads, but you don't want Smart Check to show certain Sites, you can selectively hide these Sites. For instructions, see To hide a Site without disabling discovery.
Note: For Sites that are discovered through Call Home or Citrix Scout, Smart Check discovers and displays issues and updates only for the Delivery Controllers and Machine Catalogs in the Site. Delivery Groups in these Sites are not discovered.
To automatically discover Sites with Call Home or Citrix Scout
- From the Smart Tools menu bar, click Smart Check.
- Click Site Options and then select Turn On Site Discovery. A confirmation message appears.
- Click Turn On. Any Sites with diagnostic uploads associated with your Citrix ID appear on the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page.
- To turn off discovery for all Sites:
- Click Site Options and then select Turn Off Site Discovery. A confirmation message appears.
- Click Turn Off. Any previously-discovered Sites no longer appear on the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page.
Add a Site with the Smart Tools Site Agent
Before you add your Site to Smart Check, verify the following requirements are met:
- Delivery Controllers support PowerShell 3.0, at a minimum.
- The Smart Tools Agent is not installed on any of the Delivery Controllers in your Site.
Uninstall the Smart Tools Agent
Before you install the Site Agent, you must first ensure that no other Smart Tools Agents are installed on the Delivery Controllers in your Site. The Smart Tools Agent is installed automatically when one of the following events occurs:
- You deploy your Site with a custom Smart Tools blueprint that does not include the Register Site built-in step.
- You deploy your Site with the XenApp and XenDesktop with SQL blueprint or the XenApp and XenDesktop without SQL blueprint in Smart Tools.
Because the Smart Tools Agent conflicts with the Site Agent that Smart Check needs to coordinate health checking activities, you need to uninstall it only from the Delivery Controllers. You don't need to uninstall it from the other machines in your Site.
For instructions for uninstalling the Smart Tools Agent, see Remove the agent.
To add a Site
- Log on to a Delivery Controller in your XenApp and XenDesktop Site.
Note: If you log on as a domain user that does not belong to the Domain Admins group, Windows might prompt you for administrator credentials during agent installation. Windows requests these credentials if your account does not have sufficient permission to install the agent. Smart Tools does not store or transmit these credentials.
- Open a web browser and log on to the Smart Tools web site.
- From the menu bar, click Smart Check.
- Click Add Site. The Add Site wizard appears.
- Click Download Agent and then run the CitrixLifecycleManagementAgent.exe file. Follow the wizard to install the agent. After installation, the agent registers the Delivery Controller with Smart Tools, which can take a few minutes to complete. After registering successfully, the Add Site page displays a green check mark indicating successful installation. Click Next.
- Enter the username (in domain\username format) and password for the Site's Full Administrator account and then click Add Site.
To initiate health checks right away, click Get Started. After a few minutes, Smart Check discovers the components in your Site, detects the master images associated with the Machine Catalogs in your Site, performs an initial round of health checks, and looks for applicable updates. When the analysis is finished, Smart Check displays the number of any issues and updates found. Smart Check also sends you email notifications for each health check performed with the results.
To view your Site's health report after the initial check run, click View.
Install the Smart Tools Site Agent on additional Delivery Controllers in your Site
Citrix recommends installing the Site Agent on all the Delivery Controllers in your Site. This ensures Smart Tools can always perform Smart Check functions in the event the active Site Agent becomes unavailable.
- From the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page, locate the Site you want to manage and click View.
- Click the Site Details tab and then locate the Delivery Controller where you want to install the agent.
- Click Install Agent. Smart Tools installs the agent on the selected Delivery Controller.
When the agent registers with Smart Check, you receive an email notification. On the Site Details page, the Delivery Controller displays "Online" for the agent status. Additionally, the Delivery Controller displays "Available" to indicate the agent is available to be the active agent if the currently active agent is offline.