When you add a XenApp and XenDesktop Site, Smart Check performs an initial run of Citrix Recommended checks on your Site and displays the number of errors, warnings, and updates that it finds. Citrix Recommended checks include:
- Site Health Checks
- Apps and Desktops Checks
- Update Checks
- LTSR Compliance Checks
Smart Check also creates a default schedule for these checks, selecting a time at random between 12:00 AM and 5:00 AM, to run checks on a daily basis. The time zone for this schedule is the time zone of the first Delivery Controller that Smart Check discovers.
You can run checks on your Site at any time, on demand. You can also create a schedule for your Site to ensure checks are performed on days and at times you specify. The default time zone for determining when scheduled checks will run is the time zone of the first Delivery Controller that Smart Check discovered when you initially added your Site to Smart Check.
To perform checks on demand
- From the menu bar, click Smart Check.
- On the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page, select the Site you want to manage and click View Report. Smart Check displays the Health Alerts summary for your Site.
- Click Perform Check and select one of the following options:
- Site Health Checks: Evaluates the availability and health of your Site.
- Apps and Desktops Health Checks: Evaluates the availability and health of your Site's Delivery Groups.
- Updates Checks: Checks for applicable hotfixes and product updates for your Site.
- LTSR Compliance Checks: Checks to ensure the components in your Site are LTSR compliant.
- Perform All Citrix Recommended Checks: Runs all Citrix Recommended checks in one operation.
- Custom Tools: Includes custom checks added to Smart Check from the Blueprint Catalog or your library. When you select checks from this section, Smart Check prompts you to select the machines you want to include and enter any required parameters.
Running the checks will take a few minutes to complete. When finished, Smart Check displays the Health Alerts page for your Site which lists the status of all the checks performed and the number of errors, warnings, and updates found. Smart Check also sends you an email notification with this information.
To view the individual alerts and updates that Smart Check finds, click a component on the Health Alerts page.
To schedule checks
- From the menu bar, click Smart Check.
- On the XenApp and XenDesktop Sites page, select the Site you want to manage and click View Details. Smart Check displays the Health Alerts summary for your Site.
- Click Configure. The Configuration page appears.
- Select a set of checks, such as Site Health or Update Checks, and then click Run on a schedule.
- If you selected a custom check, perform the following actions:
- Click Select Machines and then select the machines you want to include each time the checks run.
- In Credentials, enter the appropriate credentials for the selected machines if those credentials are different from the Site's credentials. If these fields are left blank, Smart Tools uses the Site's credentials by default to access the selected machines.
- Select the interval (Every day or Every week), time, and day of the week, if applicable, to run the selected checks.
- When finished, click Return to Health Report.
When Smart Check runs the scheduled checks, Smart Check sends you an email notification with the errors, warnings, and updates found in your Site. To view the individual alerts and updates that Smart Check finds, click a component on the Health Alerts page.
To perform checks manually
If you choose not to install the Smart Tools Site Agent on Delivery Controllers in your Site, you can still use Smart Check to perform manual checks at any time.
To do this, first use Call Home or Citrix Scout. Afterward, in Smart Check, run the checks again. Smart Check uses your Site data to analyze your Site and displays any issues or updates it finds. You can then address the issues or apply the updates using your own processes, outside of Smart Tools.
Troubleshooting failed checks
If Smart Check cannot run the selected checks, Smart Check displays the status "Could not run checks." To view the error output for troubleshooting, click Get error output for the affected checks. After you correct the issue, you can rerun the checks or wait until the next scheduled run occurs.
In each set of checks, there are a certain number of critical checks that Smart Check runs. If Smart Check runs a critical check and it returns a failed response, Smart Check uses Call Home to perform a diagnostic check on your Site. If any errors are detected, Smart Check displays them on your Site's health report. If you do not want to enable Call Home for your Site, use Citrix Scout to generate current diagnostics from your Site and then run the checks again.